The Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 has advised the management of the National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, to start working towards resumption in the next phases of the eased lockdown.
The NYSC had shut down orientation camps nationwide and halted the deployment of corp members in March as part of Nigeria’s measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus disease.
The Federal Government has since May started easing many of the restrictions put in place to combat the highly infectious disease.
The national coordinator of the PTF, Sani Aliyu, announced during a media briefing on Thursday, August 6, that NYSC has been told to start planning ahead of resumption in future phases of Nigeria’s response.
“We will work closely with them to design policies that may allow this to happen in the future,” he said.
The resumption is expected to take place on September as the PTF also announced on Thursday that it was extending the second phase of eased lockdown for another four weeks. The phase had previously been extended two times in the past.
The PTF lamented that one of the most significant reasons for the extensions is the failure of Nigerians to adhere to safety measures put in place to combat the spread of COVID-19 and as a result the task force maintained that, “the restrictions in the entertainment and education sectors as well as other activities that attract mass gatherings, such as operation of markets and worship centres, remain.”